First of all, a huge Congratulations to all of the band students for a terrific show at the Area Festival! It was a fun evening and I think every group did a great job! I’m looking forward to seeing how we can prepare for our next concerts and then joining those superb high school groups!
Audition music is available for high school!
The Symphonic and Wind Ensembles at Lakewood are auditioned groups. I will have audition materials printed for students and it is also online here: http://www.lpac.info/placement-auditions.html
Students should prepare the excerpt for their instrument along with a chromatic scale.
I encourage every wind player (percussionists will enroll in the percussion class) to try out, even if they do not think they’ll make it in. It’s great experience and makes the next time around much easier.
Auditions take place at Lakewood on March 15th 4:00-6:00pm
Lakewood High School Empty Bowl Concert – Wednesday Feb. 17th @LHS
Shortly after spring break are the annual small ensemble concerts. Over the next month and a half, students will form different small groups to work on pieces to perform. A variety of genres and instrumentation will make the performances unique and fun to put together! More details to come.
With conferences are right around the corner, I would like to reiterate that signed practice cards are due at the beginning of each week and the theory/rhythm/essential questions that we do daily are turned in at the end of each week. It seems that most students are getting into this habit, but otherwise, students can see me for make-up work for the dailies and here are ways to make up those practice cards:
Have a musical evening!
We have our fall concert tomorrow night 10/13! I am excited to share with you some of what we have been working on the past couple months. What you need to know:
CMS Band students need to be in the band room with instruments ready at 6:30pm for warm-up. That means arriving at 6:25 or 6:20 if they need a little more time to be settled. Parents, family, and friends can then head to the cafeteria.
The concert will begin promptly at 7:00pm and will be approximately 45 minutes. Please stay for the entire concert to support the hard work of every band student.
Concert dress is listed in the syllabus as the CMS Polo (I am picking up the order either this afternoon or tomorrow morning for students needing a shirt), black pants, black shoes/socks.
– Concert Tuesday 10/13
– Instruments ready at 6:30pm
– Concert starts at 7:00pm
– CMS Polo and black concert dress
We’re all excited to see you there!
In other news…
Students had a blast hanging out with the Bengal Regiment this past Thursday night at the football game! Lakewood’s team may have been destroyed (0-41, ouch!), but we had lots of fun cranking out some tunes and checking out the marching band show.
— If your student is interested in joining the marching band, there will be an opportunity to sign up and gather information later in the school year, just keep an eye out. Eighth graders moving into high school are welcome to join as well as middle school students who can commit to the rehearsal schedule in the fall.
CMS Orchestra Concert
Tuesday October 20th at 7:00pm, Creighton will show off the awesome orchestra program headed by Michelle Ewer. Come out to support the other side of our instrumental music program, it is sure to be a great time!
A great concert to attend coming up is at Metro State University of Denver in the King Center on Wednesday, October 21st at 7:30pm. Tickets for the event can be purchased online here:
Tickets are usually around $100, BUT not for this show. It is $20 for students, $40 for adults.
This group tours around the world performing hilarious skits along with impeccable musical skill. It’s a wonderful show to see for anyone!
Elitch’s Trip Info
Seventh and eighth graders at Creighton travel to perform and play in the music festival at Elitch’s in Denver at the end of each school year. More information about this trip will be sent out as we solidify plans. The trip is $40 total per student. The first payment of $20 is due on October 22nd and the second payment will be due April 1st.
Thanks for reading! See you all at the concert tomorrow night!
Hello CMS Band parents!
Here are some events coming up and news for the CMS bands.
First, I would like to extend a HUGE thank you to everyone who participated in the Butter Braids fundraiser! With over $1600 in expected profits raised by the band alone, it is overwhelming the support students, parents, and families alike have shown for our program! We have a wonderful thing happening here at Creighton and it continues all the way through the high school, too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
*If your student still needs to turn in an order sheet, they will need to very first thing on Monday morning to get our order in on time.
Wednesday Sept. 16th – Butter Braids will be delivered at the end of the school day. At that time, students will come into the orchestra room, pick up their order form, it will have a circled number at the top, and they will take that numbered box with their order.Wednesday Oct. 7th – Clinic with Dr. David Kish – Director of Bands at Metro State Univ. of Denver
– Students will have an awesome opportunity to improve with the expert conductor and clinician Dr. Kish. He has worked in Denver for many years reaching out to instrumental music programs around the state, and I’m excited to share his expertise with the bands at CMS!Thursday Oct. 8th – Football game with the Bengal Regiment marching band at Jeffco Stadium – 5:30-9:30pm
– Here’s a chance for 7th and 8th graders to catch a high school football game for free, play music, and have a great time hanging out with the marching band. Students will bring their instruments and help pump up the crowd with the Bengal Regiment. Permission slips will be sent home the week of 9/21.
Tuesday Nov. 10th – All-county Honor Band/Orchestra Auditions at Creighton Middle School – 4-6:00pm
– All-county audition music has gone out to all CMS band students. Everyone should sign up for an audition online here: https://sites.google.com/a/jeffcoschools.us/jcps-middle-school-honor-band-and-orchestra/
I am available after school most every day for at least 45 minutes for students to have extra practice time and help. Every student is capable of playing the music. Also, auditioning is a valuable way to prepare for future interviews, presentations, and public speaking.
“Practice isn’t the thing you do once you’re good. It’s the thing you do that makes you good.” – Malcolm Gladwell
More Notable Events:
Monday Sept. 21st – Jefferson County Marching Invitational at Jeffco Stadium 3:30-10:00pm
– Curious what band in high school can look like? Cheer on the Bengal Regiment of Lakewood High School as they compete against many other high school marching bands! See the other groups, then Lakewood goes on at 9:00pm. A late night, but it will be a great show right in our backyard!
Saturday Oct. 3rd – Brass/Musician Master Class by Greg Spence – Location/Time TBA
– One of the area high schools will be hosting a master class by professional trumpet player Greg Spence. The cost is $10 for students, an absolute steal when it comes to master classes like this! I encourage any band student to attend and absorb as much as possible. More details when they become available.
Thank you for your support! Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
And always feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns.